Saturday, August 6, 2011

Half Marathon Training Group


I am going to join a half marathon running group next January 2012. The HM Clinic I am interested in is organized by my local running store. I participated in their Learn-to-Run clinic in 2003, and their 10K Clinic in 2009. The goal HM for this group is the Forest City Road Races, the event in which I have run a 5K and a 10K. I established a goal of running in the HM in this event in 2012, and I believe that by joining a running group/clinic, it will help me attain my goal.

I am guess-timating at this time that I will be aiming for a 2:15 - 2:20 but only IF I am able to reach my goal of 2:20 this October at Niagara Falls and only IF I am able to extend/maintain my October running level over the winter (unlike last December - February). I realistically won't be able to set a goal until much closer to the event because so much can happen, positively or negatively, between now and then. I'm just posting this now for future reference so I can then say, "Cool! Look at my good prediction!" or "Mwhahhhhaha - Look how naive and innocent I was when I wrote that then!" :)

I have tentatively figured out my next cycle of training. Using the same 17 week HM training program as a guide:

1. I am aiming for the Forest City Road Race Half Marathon in May 2012.

2. I added the Chilly Half Marathon to the schedule for fun to see how it works (includes a race week taper).

3. I added four Recovery Weeks into my 17-week program.

4. I have an additional Flex Week worked into my plan in case I have a very, very bad training week (this happened to me during my sub-30 5K training program) or in case I catch a winter flu, affecting my running schedule.

My last race of the 2011 season, at this time, is the Halloween Haunting 10K on October 30th, 2011. This is a week after my goal half marathon at Niagara Falls.

I am scheduling November 14-19th for a week off completely from running. Nadda. Nothing. A complete break for my legs and body.

The start date for this next cycle is unofficially November 28th, 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. SET THE GOAL OF 215 A GO FOR IT, YOU WILL DO IT. Yelling over.

    You are good you are strong and you will roar.

    ReplyDelete