Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week #2 - Run #2


8K (8-9K scheduled)

This is Angus. He likes to kick back and watch a little bit of TV after he goes for a run. :)

It was a gorgeous, crisp day for a run. And I have to admit, I really did not want to go for one. It took a lot of self-talk to motivate me, and then it turned out to be a great run after all. Isn't it funny how often that happens?

The back of my feet/achilles was still a little raw from wearing my new shoes, but with hospital-grade bandages, I was okay with my running shoes on. I was feeling a little residual frustration from my run on Sunday, too. It is taking a lot of concentration and work mixed in with frustration to change from heel striking.

Fortunately, this run came together much better today than in previous runs. There were several stretches that were so smoooooth and effortless - wow! My reading on heel striking describes it as trying to drive while accelerating and hitting the brake simultaneously. I understand this analogy much better after today's run. Running up small inclines and declines was much easier. I am considering adding "100ups" to my pre-run regime because I see its connection to proper form.

I also focused more on 'engaging my core.' Chi Running's approach is about using your core to run, not your legs. Today, I finally concentrated on this more and wow! I really felt the difference! My challenge right now is following the advice the book provides: read it from cover to cover first, and then return to the beginning to work on one thing at a time, in sequence, taking the time to learn each step properly, before progressing to the next. I have been a little too much all over the map, experimenting with what I am reading during the first read-through. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing because when I suddenly did get all these things into sync - woosh! Fast and effortless. It proved that I am doing the right thing for me at this time. Patience!

There was some frustration on my run today, but it didn't have anything to do with the running. The dogs were not as good as they usually are as running partners. Angus was pushing the pace a little too much; I had to keep telling him to slow down. I wanted to concentrate on my form, not my speed. For some reason, he really wanted to run! :( Wallace kept pulling to the side in sniffing mode. It must have been especially smelly out there because his nose was sniffing as fast as his legs were running. Normally, he is focused and thrilled to be running so it was odd to feel the constant pulling at my waist from Wallace's leash. They are usually so great so in hindsight, it's a reminder of how lucky I am to have two great running partners.

Kundalini Yoga

Because today's run was so good, I still had my 'runner's high' heading into class, and this high carried over into my yoga poses. :) I could feel improvement, which really pleased me! It also made me feel a little sad because, after next week, I won't be able to attend this class for awhile. :( (schedule change for the next three months).

The best part of class was the lovely compliment I received from my yoga/running classmate. She started to tell me that she thought she saw me out running. I responded by asking if this runner had two dogs attached to the waist? :) Yes! She then told me that it was her marathon-running husband who saw me dogs along Wonderland Road, and how impressed he was by me. When she looked to see who he was pointing out, she realized that it was me. She then told me that her husband thought I was running at quite a clip. :) It was so nice to hear such positive feedback. :) :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Angus is the channel flipper as well. Nice work getting the run in despite the dogs doing their own thing. They probably remember the old pace and say pick it up. Nice compliment in class today Speedster.

    ReplyDelete