Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thoughts on Rest

This is what I was thinking about while I was running this morning ...

I have been playing with the idea of running 5 days a week instead of 4. My sister told me that she was running 6 days a week, and it made me think that maybe I was not doing enough after all. Most running programs only have two days of rest scheduled whereas I have been following the Runner's Choice half marathon program that includes 3 days of rest.

Balance this with everything I have read about rest, and how it is just as important to the body's recovery from running, in addition to my recent experience feeling rejuvenated after taking a week off from running.

I have decided that I will continue running only 4 days per week. My reasons? I am an overweight, 42 year old woman. My worst fear is hurting myself, forcing me to stop running, or making me enjoy it less. I like what John Stanton has to say his book, "Running" - no one ever hurt themselves running conservatively and runners get hurt when they push themselves by getting over-enthusiastic and running too much. I started running to lose weight, but since falling in love with it, I now want to lose weight so I can run better. As great as it is that I have run in eight (!!) races so far this year, and that I am at a point where I can train for a HALF MARATHON (!!), I still need to lose a significant amount of weight before I can, in my opinion, increase to more running days. I respect the fact that, regardless of one's weight or athleticism, everyone ideally should be exercising 6 days a week. I have tried cycling twice a week on my days of rest (never the day before my long run), and I would like to keep this up as an alternative to running two extra days. I used to cycle as a teenager to keep in shape and I wouldn't mind attempting a return to this former passion. I am also inspired by the number of people I see cycling on the paths whenever I run - I swear there are more cyclists than runners! I have also read that cross-training is ideal so I know that my choice is still a good one. I think it will give my legs a rest from the pounding they receive with the extra weight I carry. They are working extra hard because of what they are carrying on top so once my legs are no longer challenged by the excess weight they carry, they will be ready for the challenge of running an extra day.

I will reconsider this sometime this winter, when I will also need to think about potentially running on a treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment