Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An 8K Run turned into a 10K!

9:42K @ 1:11:39
Pace 7:36 min/km

Sometimes I need a run like today to give me an ego boost! :)

Today I was scheduled for an 8K. When I woke up this morning, I felt some sharp pain in my left shoulder blade. Oh oh. I was not having an easy time of moving without feeling a sharp jab in that area and thought, this had better not affect my run! I was also a little tired when I woke up so I was a bit slow moving while getting ready. However, I was motivated to get out as soon as I could because the Weather Channel is calling for one very humid day! Angus was my running partner of choice for today's run.

I was pleased with my pace in the first 3K. For such a humid morning, I was actually running a half decent pace (b/w 7:15 and 7:30 min/km). I felt very good, like a runner! Everything was working right and my sharp jabs of pain in the shoulder blade area lessened as I warmed up.

I somehow miscalculated my distance. I am still not sure how I did it because my watch said 2.32K when I reached the path under the Guy Lombardo bridge, I knew that I had to run to at least the 3.5K point before turning back and running through Greenway Park to reach my 8K mark. I knew I went a little past my goal, but did not realize how much it affected me until I looked at my watch and saw that I was almost at 8K, but still a fair distance from home. I realized then I was either going to be doing a lot of walking as a cool down, or I could keep on running and switch my scheduled 10K this week with this morning's run ... I am glad that I did because that dreaded 10K is now out of the way AND I feel better knowing that I could run it without stopping! :)

However, my recorded time is odd because, in my last minute switch to add another 1K to my run, I decided to run down Wharncliffe Street because it is flat (!!) compared to hilly Riverside Drive. I did stop briefly at a stop light, and unfortunately, did not turn my watch back on properly. I did not realize that my watch had not resumed recording until I kept seeing the same distance and time a few times during the last .5K. :( Oh well - it does not matter because I am focusing less on the watch these days and just running according to how I am feeling without too much pressure.

I still have not determined if I am going to try running my long run 14K this Saturday in 10:1 intervals, or if I am going to run the first 10K and then start doing the intervals. I am leaning toward Option #1 as of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment