Saturday, August 14, 2010

Brutal Run

14:04K - 1:59:57
Pace 8:32 min/km

I am going to post my learnings from this run in a separate post. I was feeling down about my run when I got home, but now, as I sit here at my desk, analyzing my splits and reviewing my run, overall, I am feeling better about it.

Brutal run. It was hot, humid, and I walked a lot. The first hour went well, which I think makes sense, since I can now run for an hour, but the second half did not go as well. I felt crappy before I left for the run, and as I completed my warm-up walk to my starting point. I kept telling myself that I would feel better once I started to run. The first km felt crappy, but thankfully, by the time I hit the first walking point, I had warmed up and started feeling good. My pace was good (so I thought), and it made me think that this 10:1 run/walk would work for me.

However, by the time I reached the far end of Springbank Park, my halfway point, I started to feel it. I was going through my water reserve quickly. I am still surprised by the number of runners who are not carrying any water with them because I always need water! During last Sunday's race, there were two water stations, but I did not use either one of them. I used my water belt and this is because, when I have dry mouth or I am in need of water, I don't want want to waiting for the next water station, not do I want to start focusing on how thirsty I am. Is this a weight thing? Do I need so much more water frequently because of my size? Or is it an age thing, maybe? Anyway, by the time I reached the hill beside Storybook Gardens, I needed to walk a lot of it, but at least I was able to get in some significant running between the top of the hill and the new Community Centre where the former Guy Lombardo Museum used to be situated. This is the first time that I have stopped mid-run, but I really needed to - I was out of water - so Wallace and I filled up on refreshing water (cold water out of a fountain - marvelous!) before heading home. And on a side note, I was surprised by how "heavy" my refilled water bottles felt! Maybe the runners without water make pace/time more important than being weighted down by water?

I did not run through Greenway Park; instead, we took the same route home, up Riverside Drive hill (walking) and back into the neighbourhood where I continued running so I could make it to 14K on my Garmin.

I feeling, literally, bagged. I am noticing a trend with my long runs now - I am so tired in the afternoon that I need to lie down for a nap!

The good news ... I DID IT !! It was tough and hot and crappy, but I completed 14K! 7 more K to go! I am more than halfway through a half marathon by running 14K so yay me! And it is only by going through these types of days that I learn what to do and what not to do. This is what training is all about, one of the many reasons why training is a good thing. :) I couldn't run 14K at this point last year - I could not even run 10K. Will I be reading this one year from now and smiling because 14K is my "easy" run by August 2011? :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment