Sunday, August 22, 2010

Another Great Run - 15K !!

1:56:43
Pace 7:47 min/km

I have to say, I am liking the fact that all my posts lately are so positive! I needed a successful long run. Compared to last weekend's brutal 14K, today's run was a smash hit! :) :)

I allowed myself to sleep in a little later than intended, but today ate a bagel and some yogurt, and drank some hot coffee exactly one hour before heading out. I was feeling SO resistant to going for a run - I was literally forcing myself out the door. I felt heavy with breakfast and water and just was not in the mood - getting out the door is usually the most difficult part! :(

As usual, my first 3K were slower - 7:44, 7:52 & 7:57. My 4th K was my fastest - 7:25 - with my 11th K as my second fastest - 7:27. How cool is that? :) I only went over the 8 min pace once - 8:02 in my 14th K.

The effort I put into creating a 10:1 music playlist REALLY paid off. By freeing up my Garmin, I was able to keep an eye on my pace and slow myself down when I went under 7:00 min/km and speed up when I went over 8:00 min/km. The music was perfect except in some spots, which I will fix before my next long run next month (I have a race this coming weekend). Using the same slow, one minute song ("I'm a Lonely Little Petunia" by Imogen Heap) as my indicator worked brilliantly, but there were a few songs that I messed up to make 10 minutes so I need to fix this, and I need to move some of favourite energetic songs for later in the playlist for when I need them more. This, in addition to the cooler, humidity-free weather made a big impact on my running pace. I ran 15K faster than 14K last week! :) :)

My dog, Wallace, ran with me today and did VERY well! He can run the distance no problem.

There were quite a few runners out today, clearly doing their long run for the week. People were friendlier today for some reason so I say hello to and smiled often at multiple runners.

I did not run on Thursday because I was too stressed about the questions I needed to have ready for James, and I went to bed @ 2:00 a.m. Friday I left for Niagara Falls to see the family and did not arrive home until after 2:00 a.m. so I did not run Sunday. My hip flexors have been sore since my last run - not painful, but very very sensitive! I thought that maybe giving them an extra day or two would be wise. They did not bother me at all during this morning's run, but I am feeling them now! Again, they are more tender than painful so I think they will be fine. Icing them is recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment