Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 5/17 HM Training - Run #1 12K

In my part of the world, we are in for some crazy heat and high temperatures this week. It is going to be ugly for those of us trying to train. :(

I was up extra early this morning in an effort to run before the heat set in. It still felt like 30 degrees C with the humidity, but it was the 'best' it was going to be today so it was then or probably not at all.

As it turns out, my run overall was better than some of my runs of late. In fact, I even saw some splits head south of the 7 min/km mark for a nice change so I felt hopeful that all these slow training runs have not been in vain. :) I ran for most of the run - I stopped for Wallace to do his business once and walked near the end of my run before the traffic lights for a mini break before Thrill Hill. I ran 3/4 of the way up Thrill Hill, better than expected, and then gave myself permission to walk the rest of the way up before the morning sun was beating on me by this point.

I tried to zone out and think about anything else but the heat, to run on auto-pilot. It worked for a significant portion of the run and I think this is what got me through it. I went through all four bottles of water that I had on me, but I didn't need to stop for more.

The same walker who complimented me the other day gave me the thumbs up today as I ran by and said, "You're doing great!" I think I have a new coach. :)

Only Wallace went with me today; Angus does not do well in this heat and humidity. :(

No gym tonight. No desire. No energy. :( And I still have some company here until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work in this heat. Keep up the good work. Early right now seems to be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Runnerbill! Always appreciate the feedback and support. :)

    ReplyDelete