Thursday, July 14, 2011

Week 4/17 HM Training - 11K (Not 12K)

Still trying to get caught up on my blog posts! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ... !!

*****
I was determined when I woke up this morning that this would be the day that I would finally get a good, full run accomplished ...

Angus, Wallace and I did great for the first 9K. I am very happy with my splits as they are much speedier than they have been of late. And the run itself felt better than earlier ones this week, too! If anything, today's run taught me to be patient - keep doing the mileage ... one step at a time ...

However, the heat and humidity finally caught up with me when I was running my 10th K. I actually stopped to walk for a bit, which as you know, I hate to do because I rarely get started running at a steady clip again after doing so. My 11th K was essentially a walk/run to the base of Riverside Hill, at which point I made a feeble attempt at it before crying 'uncle!' and walking up the rest of the hill and all the home. It is what it is.

I do have a little story to add to this post. While I was running, a woman walking in the opposite direction suddenly pointed at me, up and down, and said something. I slowed, and said, "Sorry! I didn't catch what you were saying!" so she repeated herself. She said matter-of-factly, "You have lost a lot of weight!" I wasn't sure what to say so I smiled, gave her the thumbs up, said, 'Thank you!" before continuing to run. However, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it! I know that it was meant as a compliment so I take what she said to me in the spirit in which she meant it. In a sense, she is correct - I have lost approximately 40 lbs. - but I have accomplished this very slowly over the course of three years ... as a result, I am not accustomed to people noticing this about me. I don't want to over-analyze it; I am just assuming that she is someone I have run by frequently on the paths and today was a day when was noticing a difference. :) And once again, it was a sweet interaction with someone on the running path.

Tomorrow is usually a rest day, but I have my only race in July - the Summer Night 5K. This is the fourth race in the London Honda Series, the one with the points for age groups! It is a fun event - I have run it three times before - but it's not my forte. It has a steeper incline and hill at the end, it's an evening run (I'm a morning runner), and it will be hot and humid (I'm a rain/cooler weather runner).

No comments:

Post a Comment