Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Week 4/17 HM Training - 5K (Not 10K or 12K!)

This post is several days late. My mother is staying with us for a week+ after her nephew's wedding last weekend, and we have been busy busy busy together, in partnership with an out-of-province aunt/sister (also here for the wedding). I have been chauffeuring them everywhere to visit other relatives, etc. This was unexpected for me so my apologies for "dropping off the map" suddenly without warning. :( I am just getting caught up on my blog now ...

*****
It's not often that this has happened to me this year, as anyone who checks in on this blog regularly can attest to, but today I cut my run short midway.

My morning started very early as usual, and it was a gorgeous, cooler morning. I was excited - woo hoo! How great is this after yesterday? My schedule calls for me to run 10K today, and for the first time, this is the week that I am required to add 6 striders to my run. When I felt the 13 degree Celsius weather out on my deck, I was excited about potentially making up for yesterday's swelter-fest run with a 12K today ...

But my mom got up early on this morning, too, and my usual quick cup coffee before I head out for my early run turned into a coffee house chat session. The next thing I knew, time had flown by, the temperature outside had already increased by more than 10 degrees :( , and I was under a time crunch because we were heading to St. Catharines for the day to visit cousins who weren't at the wedding.

So I ran 5K. This is the first 5K training run I have done since ... March? And it broke my heart a little to be running such a short distance when I am in my mileage build-up phase. Maybe it was just as well because I have a 5K race this Friday night and 'ideally' I should be tapering before a race. I hadn't originally planned to taper because this upcoming race is for fun, but I also didn't expect my schedule to be so wonky this week so I just need to go with the flow and not get so worked up over my training schedule.

And at least I got "a" run in. :)

GYM UPDATE
I skipped "Rock Bottom" last night because it was just too interruptive after a day of running around to then turn around and head to the gym in the evening. I also missed Kundalini yoga this evening (Wed) because we did not return home from our distance visit until late.

No comments:

Post a Comment