Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ran 8K Instead of 9K BUT Still Good on Me! :)

1:02
Pace 7:48 min/km

I feel like I should explain my pace. I actually had a half decent pace (for me) in the 7:20-7:30 zone. I checked my splits and I was good right until the last K which was done in 9:25 because I walked two hills and for the last 10m before turning the Garmin off! LOL!

Today it was POURING when I woke up and it kept raining and raining and raining all morning. I was thinking, bummer! After yesterday's run, I was actually looking forward to my 9K today see if I was moving past the mental block I wrote about earlier. At noon, the electricity went out on our street so NOTHING would work in the house - lights, oven, TV, computer, etc. There was nothing else to do BUT put on my running shoes and head out the door!

No dogs again - I am uptight about a course assignment that was due today that I was working on when the electricity went out (grrrrrrrr) so I knew I would be sensitive and grumpy with any misbehaviour so it was better to leave them at home. My run felt so sluggish and I made the mistake of wearing my running jacket because of the rain when I should have left it at home because I was soaked with my own sweat inside the jacket by the end of my run - yuck! I knew by the 5K mark that there was no runner's high or burst of energy that was going to kick in so I started chanting a little mantra to myself - get as close to 9K as you can, get as close to 9K as you can ... I also had remembered to take my Starbucks money card with me so that I could treat myself for the first time by getting coffee there on my walk home (my 9K path ends just behind the closest *$'s to my house and I never remember to bring money with me for coffee!). It made me smile to think that my motivation was coffee!

So that was my run - proud to get out in the middle of the day to run after all the rain when first thing in the morning is my best time. Proud that I persevered after feeling sluggish for the whole run. Proud that I made it to 8K when I wanted to stop at 4K ... and 5K ... and 6K ... and 7K ... !! Probably would not have gone running at all if I didn't have that great run yesterday.

And I have a music update! Picked up a new 5th generation iPod Shuffle from Best Buy yesterday - a silver with black one. Loving it so far, but the voice over voice is very odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment