Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Learning from irun.ca

http://www.irun.ca/issues/article.php?id=253&intIssueID=16

This validates the conclusion I have come to on my own about my running ... at this time ... that the way for ME to increase my running speed is to lose weight. I am carrying too many extra pounds with me when I run; therefore, I have to work harder than other runners because of it. I came to this conclusion when I joined the 10K running club last year. I was the slowest runner in the group (so slow, the club coach would suggest that I leave earlier than the others when we were meeting in the park for a drill or speed lesson so I wouldn't arrive half way through the lesson. He did it in such a kind way, I was not embarrassed by it, but instead, felt relieved). I remember thinking then that I just wanted to complete my first 10K "well" - I did not care about speed - so why bother doing these speed drills when I could just lose pounds and increase my speed this way?

Look at this formula from the article:

Lose 10 pounds
- increase 5K time by ~1 minute
- increase 10K time by ~2 minutes

Lose 15 pounds
- increase 5K by ~1 1/2 minutes
- increase 10K time by ~3 minutes

Lose 20 pounds
- increase 5K by 2 minutes
- increase 10K time by ~4 minutes

I recognize that I should not take this literally, but it helps to see this concept in a measurable format to drive the point home. Lose some of the weight I carry with me when I run, and I will see my race time improve.

I also think this takes the pressure off me, in the sense that I am just focusing on the weight/speed aspect for now, and the THRILLING experience will be the day when I realize that I had better focus on the various speed drills, etc. because I no longer have the excess weight to blame for my speed plateau! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment