Monday, April 2, 2012

FOOD RULES - RULE #58

from, "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual," by Michael Pollan

*****

PART III: How Should I Eat? (Not too much.)

Rule #58 - Do all your eating at a table.

No, a desk is not at a table. If we eat while we are working, or while watching TV or driving, we eat mindlessly - and as a result eat a lot more than we would if we were eating at a table, paying attention to what we're doing. This phenomenon can be tested (and put to good use): Place a child in front of a television set and place a bowl of fresh vegetables in front of him or her. The child will eat everything in the bowl, often even vegetables he or she doesn't ordinarily touch, without noticing what's going on. Which suggests an exception to the rule.: When eating somewhere other than at a table, stick to fruits and vegetables.

*****

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I enjoyed this one as a trick for little kids!
    I always feel I need to do something while eating - mostly watching TV - because I feel if I sit down to eat I am wasting time. If I combine it with TV time, at least I can do two 'time-wasting' things together, cutting down on my unproductive time, ha!

    ReplyDelete